Island Pastures Beef Pot Roast
This is a true 10 minute meal. It’s very simple to prepare and very rewarding. You can put this recipe together quickly and then get a few other things done while it cooks. Serve with brown rice, quinoa or another whole grain and your good to go!
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Find a pot or a casserole dish that is an inch or two wider than the roast and just as deep. Place the roast in the pot and then pour the crushed tomato around until the roast until it is covered by at least half. Place the onions on top of the tomatoes.
- Now drizzle the exposed roast with some molasses and sprinkle everything with cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Braise in the oven for 2- 3 hours, rotating the meat every 45 minutes or so. The first time you flip the roast, repeat with the molasses, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. If the tomato mixture gets too dry, add a little broth or water (or extra tomato) as you go, keeping the beef at least ½ covered throughout the process.
- Check the doneness of the beef after about 2 ½ hours by carefully holding the roast in place and scraping the surface with a fork. It should “flake” apart fairly easily. If it still feels resistant, it may need a little longer
- Serve with your favourite whole grain and some veggies and enjoy a simply delicious dinner!
- PREP 10 mins
- COOK 2 mins
- Substitute 2 cups fresh ripe chopped tomato and a touch of broth in the summer months.
- Add in extra veggies like garlic, peppers, zucchini and fennel.