Mild Vegetable and Beef Chili
What can you say about chili? It’s really good, it’s perfect to make in big batches and it makes you feel like mom cooked you dinner.
- Preheat a large pot (and we mean large as this recipe makes a lot) over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and one batch of the stewing beef. Brown on all sides and set aside. Add a little more oil and the next batch of beef. Repeat until all meat is browned. Set aside all the browned meat.
- Add a touch of oil and the onions. Sauté until onions begin to turn translucent, approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for one minute more.
- Add broth, beer (poor in slowly), paste and tomatoes. Stir until mixture is smooth. Add remaining ingredients including spices and meat that was set aside.
- Once mixture begins to simmer reduce to minimum heat and cook covered for 3 hours.
- Alternatively after step 4, transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low covered for 6 hours.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve. See variations for garnishing ideas.
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 3 hours 15 mins
- We made this recipe mild for the whole family to enjoy. For those of you that enjoy a little bite just add chopped chipotle peppers to taste
- Garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt, handful of crushed tortilla chips, finely chopped cilantro and/or grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- Limited by what’s on hand, there’s nothing wrong with substituting different beans or vegetables for the ones we’ve suggested