Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Mild Vegetable and Beef Chili
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 3 hours 15 mins
What can you say about chili? It’s really good, it’s perfect to make in big batches and it makes you feel like mom cooked you dinner.
- Preheat a large pot (and we mean large as this recipe makes a lot) over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and one batch of the stewing beef. Brown on all sides and set aside. Add a little more oil and the next batch of beef. Repeat until all meat is browned. Set aside all the browned meat.
- Add a touch of oil and the onions. Sauté until onions begin to turn translucent, approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for one minute more.
- Add broth, beer (poor in slowly), paste and tomatoes. Stir until mixture is smooth. Add remaining ingredients including spices and meat that was set aside.
- Once mixture begins to simmer reduce to minimum heat and cook covered for 3 hours.
- Alternatively after step 4, transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low covered for 6 hours.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve. See variations for garnishing ideas.
- We made this recipe mild for the whole family to enjoy. For those of you that enjoy a little bite just add chopped chipotle peppers to taste
- Garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt, handful of crushed tortilla chips, finely chopped cilantro and/or grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- Limited by what’s on hand, there’s nothing wrong with substituting different beans or vegetables for the ones we’ve suggested