Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Yam Bean Beef Stew
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 2 hours
This is a different twist on an old classic, only we made it a little healthier. We are giving you yams instead of potatoes, and adding in cabbage, and navy beans for a major vitamin boost. This fresh and clean textured stew will be great right off
- Pre-heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and one batch of the stewing beef. Brown on all sides and set aside. Add a little more oil and the next batch of beef. Repeat until all meat is browned. Set aside all the browned meat.
- In the same pot, over medium heat, add a little more oil and sauté the cabbage, yam, celery, onion and ginger until the cabbage begins to brown.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, coconut milk, broth, browned beef and spices and bring stew to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Simmer covered for about 90 minutes.
- Alternatively you can transfer everything after step 4 to a slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- If you are looking for a little spice, ¼ cup of chopped chipotle peppers make a perfect addition.
- Try adding 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa at the end of the cooking process to make this meal a little healthier.