Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
The Perfect Roast
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 1 min
Wanting to save a little money on your meat bill but you still want to enjoy tasty pleasures? This recipe will show you how to make a wonderful tasting roast from an inexpensive cut.
- Cut 2 or 3 thick slices (about ¾ inch) from the onion, remove the skin and set aside.
- Carefully cut the bottom off of the garlic bulb and then separate the cloves. Using the side of your knife, or the bottom of the pot, press down and squish the cloves (this should free the skins) and then peel and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Pre-heat a large frying pan or Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Season the roast liberally on all sides with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Add the oil and then the seasoned roast to the pre-heated pan. Very lightly brown on all sides and remove the roast.
- Now add the onion slices to the center of the pan and place the roast on top. Add the garlic cloves and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add enough broth so that it is at least ¼ inch deep and then the thyme and then drizzle the top of the roast with a little honey.
- Place a probe thermometer into the centre of the roast and then place into the oven. Roast until desired temperature. Remove roast from the oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Slice and serve with those awesome roasted onions and garlic from the pan and your favourite sides.
- You may need to add a little bit more broth to the pan if you want a pan jus.
- Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar to the broth for some extra flavour.
- Try using other fresh herbs such as rosemary and oregano to go with or replace the thyme.
Reviews on "The Perfect Roast" (2)