Here we have one of those recipes that your mom used to make you. This version is a little different with some coriander and coconut milk for creaminess, but the same general idea and technique is used.
- Cut the steaks into bite sized pieces. Now sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper and coriander until evenly coated and then dust with flour.
- On the cutting board, give the meat a light pounding with a meat mallet.
- Now preheat a large fry pan or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add the oil and butter and then the seasoned meat.
- Sauté the meat until nicely browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions to the hot pan and sauté until brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Now add the tomato including the juice and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any stuck on bits.
- Add the meat back into the pan, along with the coconut milk and the carrots. Bring everything to a simmer and then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 90 minutes or until the meat is relatively tender. Serve with some brown rice, quinoa or your favourite grain and enjoy some tasty comfort food.
- PREP 20 mins
- COOK 2 hours
- Added veggies that would work include celery, parsnip and cabbage and could be added at the beginning with the carrots. Zucchini and peppers could be added in the last 15 minutes.
- Make a double batch and freeze the left-overs for another day.