Mole Braised Beef Short Ribs
Now, compared to a traditional Mexican mole, this is definitely a bit of a short-cut version, but the results are still delicious. Give it a try and this dinner may be finding its way onto your ‘must make again’ list!
- Start off by making up the spice rub in a mixing bowl. You will have some left over after this recipe, but it will last a long time and works great as a rub for most any cut of chicken or beef.
- Once the rub is mixed together, apply liberally to the short ribs.
- Preheat a large oven ready fry pan on medium heat. Add the oil and then the ribs. Brown nicely on all sides and then remove from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until lightly browned, stirring regularly.
- Now add a little of the beef broth and make sure to release any stuck on bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the rest of the broth, bring to a simmer and then stir in the tomato paste.
- Place the short ribs back in the pan and add the peanuts, cinnamon stick and chipotle pepper.
- Make sure that the ribs are between ½ and ¾’s covered and then place in a preheated 375° F oven.
- Cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours, turning the meat every 30 minutes until it is falling off the bone and very tender. You will also need to add water each time you turn the ribs to ensure that they remain at least ½ covered.
- PREP 25 mins
- COOK 1 min