Spicy Mocha Braised Short Rib Pasta
The short ribs are braised in a spicy coffee mixture and then melted chocolate and butter are added at the end to thicken and richen. The result is an amazingly flavourful and rich pasta sauce that is different than the everyday.
- Preheat a large fry pan or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and then the short ribs. Brown meat nicely on both sides and then remove from pan.
- Add a little more oil if necessary and then add the onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the onions are nicely browned. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more stirring frequently.
- Now add the tomatoes to the pan and cook until most of the moisture evaporates (1-5 minutes depending on how juicy the tomatoes are).
- Add the coffee and the chipotle peppers and then scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any stuck on bits.
- If using a Dutch oven, add the meat back in and make sure that it is at least half covered (you may need to add a little water). Bring to a simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Check periodically to make sure that the liquid is still gently bubbling. Simmer for 2 hours or until meat is very tender. Flip half way through cooking process. **Alternatively, you can cook this in a slow cooker. Add the meat in single layer on the bottom of the slow cooker and then pour the sauce on top. Cook on low for 4 – 6 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Now remove the meat from the sauce and following the grain, tear into small pieces.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler and stir together and then stir into the sauce until completely combined.
- Add the meat back into the sauce and then toss with the hot cooked pasta. Garnish with cheese and enjoy.
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 2 hours
- Add some sautéed zucchini or steamed broccoli to the pasta for some greenery.
- To simplify, braise the short ribs in tomato sauce thinned out with a little water.