Beef & Tomato Casserole
This remarkably easy dish should make your tummy very happy. Its just a few ingredients, but the flavours that come out to play are amazing. A short prep time and the left over factor make this recipe an awesome choice for your weekly repertoire.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Preheat a large frying pan on medium heat. In batches, taking care not to overfill the pan, sauté the beef until lightly browned on all sides. Transfer the sautéed beef into a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish. Free up any stuck on bits in the pan with some of the juice from the canned tomato and transfer meat to the casserole dish.
- Preheat a large pot on medium heat and sauté the butter and onions until nicely browned. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, chilli powder, salt and honey, stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to the casserole dish, cover with a lid or aluminium foil and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Serve by itself or with some steamed broccoli or cauliflower to boost your veggie consumption.
- PREP 8 mins
- COOK 1 hour 30 mins
- Try adding some fresh veggies to give this casserole added character and nutrition. Carrots, tomato, celery, corn, zucchini, yams or leeks would all be welcome additions.
- Fresh herbs are a great way to add flavour. Try rosemary or thyme with this yummy casserole.
- Serve over ½ cup of your favourite grain such as rice, quinoa, pasta or potatoes.