Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Baked Beans with Veggies
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 2 hours 10 mins
If you are a baked bean lover but don’t want all of the sugar and salt that is generally loaded into canned beans, then this is for you. We have also added decent veggie content to this recipe, so you can take extra comfort in the health of it.
- Rinse the beans and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Preheat a large oven proof fry pan or Dutch oven on medium heat. **Note** If you don’t have one, complete up to step 7 with a regular fry pan and then transfer everything to a casserole dish along with everything else in step 8.*
- Add the bacon and sauté until nicely browned. Pour off most of the fat leaving only about 1 tablespoon in the pan.
- Add the celery, carrots and onion and sauté until the onions are lightly browned.
- Add the turmeric and chilli powder and sauté for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Now, plug your nose, add the balsamic vinegar and give a good stir to release anything stuck to the pan.
- Add the beans, tomato and molasses, give a good stir and then transfer to the oven. Bake for 2 hours. Alternatively you could cook in the slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours.
- For a quicker cook time in the oven, bump up the temperature to 350° F. It should only take an hour at that temperature.
- Add extra veggies like diced peppers, sliced leeks or diced squash for some flavour variety.