Recipe by Chef Heidi Fink
Pork Chops with Mushroon Gravy
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 30 mins
- Ready in 45 mins
- Yield 4 servings
This weeknight meal gives a rich, restaurant-style flavor way beyond its effort level. Serve these delicious chops with gravy on a bed of mashed potatoes or rice.
- Pork Chops
- Mushroom Gravy
- Pat the pork chops dry with paper towel and sprinkle one side liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy skillet, such as a cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat. Add a little oil, then the pork chops salt-and-pepper-side down, without crowding the pan (you may need to add them in two batches of two chops). Sprinkle the top side of the chops with salt and pepper. Cook without moving the pork chops, for about 1 to 2 minutes, until browned. Use tongs or a flipper to flip the chops and brown the other side. NOTE: The chops will still be raw in the middle – the browning is for colour and flavor. Remove to a plate; repeat with remaining chops, if necessary.
- MEANWHILE, have a second large skillet heating on another burner. Add the butter and heat until the butter melts and is sizzling. Add the diced shallots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and 1-1/2 teaspoons of the thyme leaves, sautéing until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
- Immediately add the sliced mushrooms, along with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until mushrooms give off their juice and are starting to go brown in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry, stirring well. Let cook for about 30 seconds, then add the chicken stock.
- The pork chops should be browned and ready by now. Add all of the browned chopes to the skillet with the mushroom gravy, neslting them in there and spooning some mushroom gravy over.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to a low simmer, cover with a lid (or foil) and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until pork chops are cooked through (160 F internal temperature).
- Remove lid, add the cream and the remaining thyme leaves. Stir well to combine. Taste for salt and serve immediately, sprinkled with fresh parsley.