Red curry coconut soup with Rice
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 25 mins
There are a few really great curry pastes out there these days and they make it very easy to make a delicious soup or curry. Building on the flavours already present in our curry paste, this is a delicious soup that has some body too!
- Get this recipe rolling by cooking the black rice (following the instructions on the package) since it takes nearly 60 minutes to cook.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat a medium pot on medium heat. Add the coconut oil and then the ginger and shallots and sauté, stirring regularly until lightly browned.
- Add a touch more oil and then the curry paste and sauté for another minute, stirring frequently. This toasts the spices in the paste and brings them to life!
- Now add the broth or water and stir the bottom of the pot to release any stuck on bits.
- Add the potato and lemongrass and bring to a simmer. Simmer covered for 20 minutes or so until the potatoes are cooked and have begun breaking apart. The broken down potato will add body to the soup base.
- Add the coconut milk, carrot and celery and bring back up to temperature. Simmer for a few minutes longer to soften the carrot and celery then add the rice and cilantro and serve this delicious soup immediately.
- If you are making the soup ahead of time, do not add the cilantro until you serve it.
Roast chicken breast is very happy when added to this soup.