Cream of Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Soup
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
Delicious, fresh and very springy, this is one of my favourite ways to kick off the spring. Asparagus is one of the first crops to show its head in the warmer grower season and this soup is a great way to take advantage of it…
- Start this off by roasting the garlic. Cut the tops off of the bulbs exposing the garlic cloves. Place on a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and then bake at 350° F in your toaster over (or conventional oven) for about 25 minutes. The garlic is finished once it is golden brown.
- Let the garlic cool, then using your fingers squeeze the cloves out of the bulb and set aside.
- Preheat a medium pot on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter or oil and then the onions and celery. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the onions are lightly browned.
- Now add the asparagus, thyme salt and pepper and sauté for another couple minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
- Remove from the heat and let the soup cool a little. Add the soup and the roasted garlic to a blender or food processor and puree until everything is very smooth and then add the cream.
- Have a taste and make sure you are happy with the seasoning. Serve and enjoy!
You can add the roasted garlic to the soup after pureeing as an option. After roasting, chop the garlic roughly to be added to each bowl of soup.