Chicken Chorizo and Mussel Paella
Paella is a fantastic dish that presents beautifully, especially if you have a paella pan. If you don’t, you can make the dish in a large cast iron pan or a good quality all clad.
- Anytime I peel prawns, I reserve and store them in the freezer. If you have some on hand, start this recipe off by preheating a medium sized pot on medium high. Add a tablespoon of oil and then the peels. Roast until browned nicely, stirring regularly.
- Add the tomato paste and roast until lightly browned, stirring regularly. If you don’t have the prawn peels then roast the tomato paste in the oil by itself.
- Add the broth, stir well and simmer for 45 minutes to extract the flavour from the peels. No peels? No need to simmer ?
- After simmering remove the peels and add the saffron, stir and your paella broth is now ready!
- You will also need to par-cook your brown rice. Simmer 1 cup of rice in 1 cup of broth (preferably the paella broth) or water for 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Heat your paella pan on medium high. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and then the chicken thighs and brown on both sides.
- Once you flip the chicken, add the chorizo, peppers and onions and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a minute longer taking care to not burn.
- Now add the par-cooked rice, cauliflower and mussels, stir well and arrange everything so that it is relatively flat and evenly distributed.
- Add enough broth to cover the rice plus a little more and simmer adding more ladle by ladle, keeping the broth just above the rice.
- Once your rice is almost cooked (eat a few grains to check), place the paella in a 450º F oven and roast until the broth is absorbed and the edges brown and become slightly crispy.
- Garnish with sliced green onion, serve and enjoy!
- PREP 20 mins
- COOK 1 hour