Baked Rotini with Cauliflower Cream
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 30 mins
This is a delicious alternative to anything that comes out of a box (or bag). We start off with a nutritious cauliflower based cheese sauce. Next we use fresh Cowichan Pasta whole grain rotini…an amazingly tasty and protein loaded noodle! Give this recipe a try and stock your freezer with the left-overs!
- For the crispy topping:
- For the sauce:
- Mix the ingredients for the topping, stir well and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the rotini. Cook the rotini as per the instructions and then drain and cool.
- While the rotini is cooking, preheat a medium pot on medium heat. Add the butter and once it’s melted, add the onion. Sauté until the onions are lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer, stirring regularly.
- Add the coconut milk, cauliflower and salt, raise the temperature to high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, place a tight fitting lid on the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft.
- Now it’s time to puree the cauliflower with a food processor, blender or with an immersion blender. Make sure the sauce is as smooth as possible.
- You can add the shredded cheese to the sauce and blend a little more or simple stir until it is melted and incorporated.
- To finish this off, mix the noodles and broccoli into the sauce, transfer to a casserole dish, pack down lightly and then sprinkle on the topping.
- Bake in a preheated 375° F oven until the topping is lightly browned.