Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Mango Curry with Lentils
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
Super easy and satisfying, this recipe makes a fruity and flavourful curry sauce. Good on top of lentils, rice or chicken or used as an awesome dip for naan bread… enjoy!
- Bring water or broth to a boil and then add the lentils. Stir and cover with a lid, reduce to minimum and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Strain any remaining liquid and set lentils aside.
- Preheat a medium pot on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and then the onions, peppers and garlic. Sauté until everything is lightly browned.
- Now add the curry powder and sauté for another minute, stirring frequently. This will bring the flavours of the curry powder out a little.
- Add the broth and make sure that you release any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Now add the apple, mango and coconut milk and stir very well.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer sauce for 15 minutes and then puree in a food processor or blender.
- Serve the sauce on top of the lentils with some toasted cashews. Whole wheat naan makes for a nice side.
- You can bump the flavours of this sauce up a little with ground cumin and coriander and fresh cilantro or basil.
- Try adding a piece of lemon grass cut in half lengthways to the sauce while it’s simmering and then remove before pureeing.