Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Chilli Lime Sauce
This highly nutritious vegetarian dish boasts complete protein because of the quinoa, not to mention loads of fibre and flavour. Even big meat eaters can be left completely satisfied after feeding on this dish.
- Place peppers on a baking tray and spray with a light coat of oil. Place in a preheated 425° F oven and bake for approximately 15-25 minutes, flipping the peppers every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Place quinoa, water and broth in a small pot and bring to a boil. Once liquid begins to boil, cover and reduce to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat but leave covered for another 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan, sauté the onions with a little oil until they begin to brown. Add garlic and sauté for one more minute. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked quinoa, onions, garlic, nuts, black beans and cheese and then season to taste with fennel, salt and pepper.
- Once peppers are cool enough to handle place on a cutting board with the stem pointing away from you, make a cut in the shape of a T, carefully open the pepper and then remove the seeds and core.
- Stuff peppers with the filling. Reheat in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the tomato sauce, chilli powder and juice in a small pot. Simmer until liquid reduces to ¾ of the original amount. Stir in the honey.
- Plate peppers with a dollop of sauce. Serve and enjoy.
- Use any leftover sauce and stuffing for lunch the next day. Goes well on top of greens for a salad or in a wrap.
- PREP 25 mins
- COOK 30 mins
- Save a step and omit the roasting of the peppers. Instead cut off the tops and remove seeds and core. Stuff the peppers and then bake standing up in a 425° F oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix-up the vegetables and spice for different flavours. You can even swap the sauce for a homemade mole.
- A non-vegetarian option: add in ½ cup