Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
Making your own pickled ginger is so easy and it comes out delicious. Take note that using the chilli makes it very spicy and you make want to skip that option.
- Bring vinegar and water to a boil.
- Add the honey and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add the coriander, chopped chili (if you want your ginger to be spicy) and cilantro and give a stir. Set aside.
- Now chop the ginger very very thin. Try to slice as consistent as possible. A mandolin works great for this but take care as cutting ginger is a little dangerous.
- Now sprinkle the salt on the ginger and toss well. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Give the ginger a little squeeze and then place into the pickling liquid and give a stir.
- As long as the ginger is submerged in the liquid, it should last for up to 3 months in the fridge.
This process could also be done with garlic in place of the ginger.