Barley and Mushroom Risotto
Now you can never replace a perfectly made risotto, but with health in mind I swapped out the white risotto rice and replaced it with whole grain pot barley. With minimal work to create, you end up with a delicious, creamy and toothsome side dish!
- Give the barley a rinse and drain well. Combine the barley and the stock in a medium pot, bring to a boil and then immediately reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Gently simmer for 25-30 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the barley is cooking, preheat a large fry pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the butter and half of the mushrooms. Sauté, stirring occasionally.
- Once the mushrooms have begun to brown, add the remaining mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
- Add the onions and sauté for another few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the garlic and thyme and sauté for about 1 minute more, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper and then add the coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Once the barley is cooked, combine with the mushroom mixture and the Parmegiano. Stir to combine and serve immediately and garnish with the parsley.
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 30 mins
- If you don’t have any homemade broth and you are using the store bought, make sure to get the low-sodium and omit the salt from the recipe.
- If you can get your hands on some wild mushrooms then use them. Morels or chantrelles would both work well!