Potato Yam and Leek Soup
Budget friendly, nutritionally dense and very tasty. This is a perfect cold day soup to warm your bones. Alternatively, this soup can be eaten chilled on a warm day! You can make the broth from scratch or just use filtered water to save a little.
- Add the butter and leeks to a medium sized pot, pre-heated on medium heat. Sweat (sauté without browning) the leeks for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, oregano salt, pepper and coriander to the pot and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Now add the yams, potatoes and vegetable broth or water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until the yams and potatoes are cooked and soft then remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Add to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender.
- Return the soup to a pot and re-heat if serving immediately, or transfer to storage containers and refrigerate or freeze.
- PREP 20 mins
- COOK 27 mins
- Chicken broth is also another option for this soup.
- You could skip the yams and double up the potatoes and/or omit the fresh oregano to bring you even more savings.