Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Bean & Wild Rice Bake
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 1 hour
This is a tasty rice pilaf recipe that is well worth the hour in the oven. Lots of veggies and the complete protein combo of beans and rice make this an ideal vegetarian dinner on its own. It also works well as a meal component.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium-high heat and then add the butter and oil and then the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and the rice and sauté for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now transfer the mixture to a large casserole dish that has a lid. Add the beans.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a medium pot, add the turmeric and then pour into the casserole dish with the rice mixture.
- Give it a good stir, place the lid on and then into the oven. Bake for about 1 hour or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven, give a good stir and then serve.
- Add 1 -2 tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno to make it a spicy one.
- Stir in some fresh, chopped parsley or cilantro after it’s cooked to liven it up.