Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Pineapple Braised Chicken
- Prep time 5 mins
- Cook time 45 mins
Super quick and simple, this recipe is perfect if you don’t have lots of time to prepare dinner but still want something that tastes good.
- The chicken is best skinless for this recipe. So if you can’t find it without the skin then peel it off yourself.
- Preheat a large Dutch oven or fry pan that has a lid on medium heat. Season the chicken with a little salt and pepper on both sides. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and then add the chicken. Brown lightly all over.
- Add the onion and sauté for a few more minutes stirring regularly.
- Once the onions have begun to brown, add the ginger and sauté for 2 minutes more stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato sauce and the pineapple, including the juice and bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through. This will take about 45 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the sauce and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens up to a nice consistency.
- Now serve your chicken with a generous helping of pineapple and sauce poured over top of your favourite grain or legume.
- Add 1 diced red pepper in with the onions for a veggie boost.
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper added in with the ginger will give a nice spicy heat to this dish.