Crispy Skin Duck with Orange Sesame Sauce
Use this dish for an interesting variation on a holiday dinner or an any day special dinner. The sauce is easy to make and it is perfect drizzled on the crispy duck.
- Preheat your oven to 425° F.
- Make sure that you defrost the duck in the fridge. It will take a couple days. Rinse the duck inside and out.
- With a sharp fork or a knife tip, prick the skin of the duck all over. Take care to not puncture the meat.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Now set the duck in a strainer or on a plate in the sink and pour the boiling water in a slow steady stream all over the duck. This will tighten up the skin.
- Dry the duck inside and out.
- Rub the duck with a little canola oil all over and then sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper.
- Place the duck in a roasting pan (with a rack if you have one) breast side up and roast for 45 minutes.
- Then remove and carefully turn the duck over so that it is breast side down. Roast another 45 minutes. Pour out any juices from the cavity and turn the duck over so it is breast side up once again and roast for another 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
- While the duck is cooking add the juice, honey, ginger, cayenne, salt and pepper to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat a little so that it does not boil over. Boil the liquid until it starts to thicken. It should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove duck from the oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes covered.
- Cut the duck through the bones into smaller pieces and drizzle with the yummy orange glaze and then serve with your favourite sides.
- PREP 10 mins
- COOK 2 hours 15 mins
- Another option is to remove the meat from the bone and either cut or tear into small pieces. Then add to your favourite Asian noodle dish.