Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 40 mins
This recipe dates back to the 80’s at least and in its origin, it is simple but not quite so healthy. So we have thinned it out a little and swapped some of this for that and in doing so, dropped some of the calories.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Whisk the miso, coconut milk and broth together until the miso is completely dissolved and then set aside.
- Preheat a large frying pan on medium heat. Add a little oil and then the chicken (in 2 – 3 batches so you don’t overload the pan) and sauté until lightly browned but still raw in the middle. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Return pan to medium heat and add a little more oil if necessary. Add the red pepper and onion and sauté until the onion is lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, curry powder and cumin, and sauté for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Now add the stirred miso, coconut broth to the pan and stir to release any stuck on bits. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the broccoli to the casserole dish as well and give everything a good stir and then top with grated cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Serve this dish with some brown rice, quinoa, barley or another whole grain or by itself for a light meal.
- Add a can of rinsed chickpeas to the casserole dish when you add the broccoli to make this a hearty ‘one pot meal’.
- Swap the chicken breast for boneless skinless chicken thigh to save a couple bucks.