Whole Wheat Oat Pancakes
One of our favourite things do is to make classic recipes healthier. Take pancakes…usually all white flour, buttermilk, low protein. Well not these ones. Whole oats, whole wheat flour and even protein included! Give them a try…they are delicious.
- Add the oats to a food processor and pulse to chop them up. Add the chopped oats to a mixing bowl along with all the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together very well to ensure that the baking powder and soda are evenly distributed.
- While stirring with a wooden spoon, slowly pour the oil into the dry ingredients. After all the oil is added, mix it up with your hands until the oil is evenly dispersed. The mix should clump when you squeeze it.
- Store the dry mix in the fridge and it will last indefinitely.
- When your ready to make some pancakes, add the cottage cheese to a small food processor and puree. Add the milk and puree again to incorporate. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and then add the egg. Whisk to combine.
- Now add 1 cup of dry mix to the wet and whisk until just combined.
- Preheat a pan on just under medium heat. Once hot, lightly oil or butter the pan and add in a scoop of batter. You can make them as big or as small as you like. Keep in mind if they are too thick, it will be difficult to cook through.
- Serve with a little bit of maple syrup and butter or with fruit sauce and enjoy!
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 5 mins
- Cinnamon is a good addition! Add 1 teaspoon to the dry mix.
- Make em’ real thin and use them for piggies in a blanket.