Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Bran Orange Omega Muffins
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
This is a nutritious fibrous and omego-3 rich muffin recipe and it is a family recipe submitted from one of our customers. It’s one of our favourite and we use it all the time at home now.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin pans with paper liners or coat pans with butter and then a light dusting of flour — lightly bang pan and shake off excess flour.
- Combine oat bran, flour, flaxseed, wheat bran, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a blender combine oranges, brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and baking soda. Blend well.
- Pour orange mixture into dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Avoid over mixing. Add dried fruit.
- Divide batter evenly in muffin tins. Bake 18 to 20 mins. Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
- Some suggestions for dried fruits include: currants, raisins, dried blueberries, dates and cranberries or any combination of the former
- The customer’s favourite calls for chopped Australian ginger and walnut pieces
- Place in freezer bags, to be frozen and enjoyed later
- For a stronger orange flavour, add a desired amount of orange zest
- For a quick breakfast, crumbled a muffin into a cup of plain yogurt