Rich Chocolate Mousse
Smooth, velvety and rich! Using good chocolate makes all of the difference in this recipe, so go for it. You could really make your partner happy with this one.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces about the size of chocolate chips.
- Place the chocolate into a small bowl and then sit the bowl on top of a small pot. Make sure the bowl is bigger than the pot and that it sits on top.
- Fill the pot with water so that it is at least 1 inch deep and bring to a boil on medium heat with chocolate bowl on top. Take care to not get even 1 drop of water in the chocolate as water makes chocolate seize up.
- Let chocolate melt for about 3 or 4 minutes and then give it a stir. Once chocolate is fully melted remove from heat and then set aside.
- Making sure that the whip cream is cold, add to a large bowl and whip to soft peaks (4-5 minutes) with a hand held, counter-top or manual (if you have the muscle) mixer. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix for another 10 to 15 seconds until the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Now for the egg white. Add to a medium bowl and whip with the mixer again until soft peaks (1-2 minutes). Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix for another 10 to 15 seconds until the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Now to combine everything. Add a big scoop of the whipping cream to the melted chocolate and stir until totally combined.
- Now add the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream bowl and stir until totally combined.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and then chill the mousse in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set. Serve with shaved chocolate and fresh fruit and enjoy this yummy indulgence.
- PREP 2 hours 10 mins
- Stir shaved chocolate into the mousse with the egg whites for a varied texture.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract into the whipping cream along with the 2 tablespoons of sugar for a little extra flavour.