Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Rich Pumpkin Pie
- Prep time 35 mins
- Cook time 52 mins
Making great pies is one of the fading arts. The truth is that nothing compares to a good home-made crust and pumpkin filling made from scratch. So get crackin.
- Pie crust:
- Pie filling:
- Whisk the salt into the flour and then cut half of the butter into the flour until you have a grainy texture.
- Now add the remaining butter and use both of your hands to mix until the butter is completely covered in the flour.
- Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time stirring with a fork until the dough first starts coming together.
- Once the dough comes together easily when squeezed in your hand add one or two more tablespoons and then bring the dough together into a pile.
- Form into a circle about 1 inch thick.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to relax.
- Now roll the dough out on a heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Roll from the middle out only, until you have dough that is 3 inches bigger than your pie pan.
- Transfer dough to the pie pan cutting the edges, and keep in the fridge until ready to fill.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Mix the filling ingredients together with a whisk until completely incorporated and then pour into the pie crust leaving about a ¼ inch from the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce heat down to 350° F. Continue baking for another 35-40 minutes until the pie is set around the edges, but a little wobbly in the center.
- Remove from oven to cool and it will finish setting. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours and then serve and enjoy.
Serve with whipped cream and chopped pumpkin seeds.