Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Molten Mocha Chocolate Cake
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
Leave a Review
Talk about decadent. We are not going to try and claim that this is healthy, but you have to splurge once in a while right? Rich, chocolatey and sweet. Yumm!!
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of four ramekins with butter and dust with flour. Shake out the extra flour.
- In a double boiler (pot of boiling water with a mixing bowl on top), combine chocolate, butter and salt. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside chocolate mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, vigorously mix egg yolks with instant coffee and 3 tablespoons of sugar until completely combined. Fold in chocolate mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer beat egg whites with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar until stiff peaks are formed. In batches 1/3 at a time, fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon batter into the prepared ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Bake until cakes are raised but still runny in the middle, approximately 11 minutes.
- Cool for a couple minutes. To loosen the cake, carefully use a butter knife and cut around the outside of the cake. Place a plate on top of the ramekin, invert and remove the ramekin.
- Top with ice cream, whipping cream or a light dusting of icing sugar.
- Serve this treat with some fresh made raspberry sauce instead of ice cream or whipped cream
- Caramel sauce is also a natural winner with this cake