Beet and Goat Cheese Tart
This dessert balances sweet and savoury beautifully as the sweetness of the beets and honey are a perfect match for the savoury punch of goat cheese.
- Cut the puff pastry in half (its pre-split) and defrost overnight in the fridge or you can leave out at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off of the beets and then boil until soft. Remove the beets from the water and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Peel the remaining skin with your fingers or a paring knife and then cut the beets into small dice (1/2 inch square or smaller).
- Preheat a frying pan on medium heat and add the butter, beets and honey. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the honey becomes sticky.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more. Set beets aside to cool.
- Now whip the goat cheese and whipping cream together until light and fluffy. Season with some salt and pepper and then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Make sure the puff pastry is at room temperature and dust your counter-top, the puff pastry and the rolling pin with flour and roll out the puff pastry until it is a rectangle about 12 in. by 5 in. Dust with more flour if dough is sticking.
- Now evenly distribute the goat cheese down the centre of the 12 in. length and then top with the beets. Make sure to leave about 1 inch on each end free so you can seal the pastry.
- Now fold one side over, brush with egg wash and then fold the other side up. The egg wash will seal it. Press it down a little to help seal.
- Now brush the inside of the pastry on each end and push together to seal. Flip the pastry onto a baking sheet so the overlap is down.
- Cut some slits in the top of the pastry and lightly brush the outside with some egg wash.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes and then cut into individual sized pieces and serve.
- PREP 30 mins
- COOK 40 mins
- Try using sliced brie cheese instead of the goat cheese.
- Swap the beets with pears or apples for a fruity pastry.