Omega Granola Bars
These little guys are a great alternative to the packaged ones in the grocery isle. You can control how much sugar and butter you put in and you can also flavour them how you like.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Add the oats, butter and cinnamon and give a good stir.
- Now add the condensed milk, nuts, cranberries and flax seeds and give a real good stir. It will probably take a few minutes to distribute the gooey condensed milk.
- Transfer the mix into a 9 by 13 in. baking/casserole dish. If the dish is a little bigger or smaller then your bars will be a little thinner or thicker respectively. Now you really want to pack the mix down with the bottom of a clean measuring cup or even just your hands, but make sure that it is firmly pressed together.
- Pop it into the middle of the oven for 20 – 25 minutes depending on how you like your granola bars. 20 minutes and it will be a little chewy where as 25 will make it a little more crispy. If you would like it to be a little more or less crispy, take note of the time and adjust accordingly.
- Remove from the oven, cool and then cut into desired size. Store in an airtight container for 3 or 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 25 mins
- Try different dried fruits instead of the cranberries. Dried blueberries, strawberries, apricots, peaches, raisins, etc. all work well.
- Using quick oats will give the bars a finer texture but it will also make them a little higher on the glycemic index.