Rhubarb Vanilla Steel cut Oatmeal
I have always pushed large flake oatmeal as a great way to start your day. Well now I have moved on and up to steel cut oats. As good as large flake oats are, steel cut are even better. Less processed and more nutritious in many ways…not to mentio
- Now, you can cook the oats for 30 minutes on minimum heat, but I prefer to cook my oats ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. Then when it comes time for a steel cut oatmeal breakfast, all you need to do is warm them up! If you want to do the same, then do as follows.
- Bring the oats and liquid to a boil in a medium pot.
- Turn the heat off as soon as it comes to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and let it sit on the warm burner for about 1 hour.
- Now you can transfer the oats into a storage container and keep in the fridge until you need them. Simply warm up in a pot on the stove or in the microwave when it comes time.
- For the rhubarb portion of this recipe, preheat a medium pan on medium heat. Add the butter and the rhubarb to the pan and sauté stirring regularly. Add the vanilla and honey and continue to sauté until the rhubarb is soft. About 5 minutes total.
- Now all you have to do is stir the Rhubarb into the oatmeal and serve. Add some more milk if desired and enjoy!
- PREP 10 mins
- COOK 1 hour
- Add different things to your oatmeal to make it your own such as fresh seasonal berries, orange pieces….or how about peanut butter and chocolate!