Sesame Chili Scrambled Eggs with Yam Latkes
- Prep time 40 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
- Ready in 40 mins
Here is your next brunch idea. Yams instead of potatoes for a little change on a classic to be served alongside some nicely spiced scrambled eggs. Serve this with a bowl of Ed’s Soup Shack Tortilla soup for nicely rounded brunch.
- Yam Latkes:
- Scrambled eggs:
- Whisk the eggs and flour together in a mixing bowl.
- Grab the cheese grater and shred the yam and onion on the large holes. Now for an important step…squeeze the liquid out of the shredded veggies using your hands.
- Once you have sufficiently squeezed, add the shredded yam and onion to the mixing bowl along with the garlic, salt, pepper and cumin seed.
- Stir very well until incorporated.
- Preheat a large cast iron or stainless steel pan on medium heat. Drizzle a bit of sesame oil into the pan and then place a spoonful of the latke mix into the pan and flatten and shape into a small thin disc. Repeat to fill the pan.
- Cook for 4 – 5 minutes and then flip and fry for another 4 – 5 minutes. You want them browned nicely on both sides.
- Transfer the latkes to a baking tray and bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes
- For the scramble eggs, clean and preheat a large fry pan on medium heat. Add the sesame seeds to the pan and toast until lightly browned.
- Now add in the whisked egg mixture and using a heat resistant rubber spatula, keep the eggs moving to make a nice light scramble.
- Serve alongside the yam latkes and garnish with the avocado and red pepper.
Add a touch of fresh salsa and sour cream to bring this up another level.