Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Yam Potato Salad
- PREP 20 mins
- COOK 30 mins
Here we have a healthy variation on the traditional. Potatoes are yummy, but they lack the vitamin punch of yams, so we included both. In the dressing we have substituted mayonnaise with yogurt to save on some un-needed fat.
- For the best flavour, place cubed potatoes and yams in a large steaming basket. Steam until a fork can easily pierce the vegetables, approximately 18-20 minutes. Alternatively, yams and potatoes can be boiled or cooked in the microwave. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Preheat a frying-pan over medium heat and lightly coat with spray. Add cauliflower and 2 tablespoons of water. Sauté until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Add onion and sauté until they become translucent, approximately 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and place in refrigerator to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl gently combine yogurt, mustard, paprika and lemon juice. Over-stirring will cause yogurt to breakdown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once cooled, add the potatoes, yams, cauliflower, eggs and onions to a large mixing bowl. Add desired amount of dressing. Stir until evenly coated and then do a taste check for seasonings.
- This salad pairs nicely with a roast chicken and is a great addition to any bbq.
- Chopped pickles are welcome in any potato salad
- Freshly chopped herbs such as thyme, dill, parsley or basil are wonderful additions to this salad
- Our favourite is adding some cooked sausage or bacon