Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Seared Snapper Fillet with Chunky Tomato Soup
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
A wholesome veggie loaded super tasty soup to go along with a nice rich snapper fillet. This is a great meal and the soup freezes wonderfully, so go ahead and make a big batch.
- For the soup:
- For the snapper:
- For the soup: Preheat a large pot on medium heat. Add oil, onions and peppers and sauté until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and sauté for one minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the broth, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and fennel and simmer for 15 minutes. Continue stirring occasionally. Add the basil at the end and remove from heat.
- For the snapper: Pre-heat a large pan on medium heat. Season the fish evenly on both sides with salt, pepper and paprika. Add a small amount of oil to the pan and then add the fish and cook for about 4 minutes each side until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Serve the warm soup in a bowl with the snapper placed on top. Garnish with extra freshly chopped basil if desired.
- Try substituting the snapper with another white fish such as sole or halibut.
- If you like your tomato soup a little creamier, substitute 1 cup of the broth with 1 cup of coconut milk and omit the balsamic vinegar and puree in a blender.