Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Yam Chicken Corn Chowder
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
Leave a Review
This is a fantastic soul warming soup and quite a bit healthier than the traditional. Here we use coconut milk instead of the traditional cream and navy beans are pureed to give it a rich base instead of thickening with white flour.
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and 2 tablespoons of the coconut milk. Sauté until most of the coconut milk has evaporated.
- Add remaining coconut milk, garlic, paprika, navy beans and broth. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat for a couple of minutes to cool.
- In small batches, carefully puree soup in a blender starting on low. Add pureed contents back to the pot.
- Add yams and simmer over medium-low until yams are soft, approximately 12 minutes.
- Add the corn and chicken to the pot, and season with salt and pepper. Sit down and relax with this great comfort soup with a healthy twist.
- You can make a totally different soup by adding 2 tablespoons curry powder to the pot with the onions.
- Fresh herbs can make a big difference. Try some chopped Italian parsley or cilantro.
- If you have extra time on your hands, make this recipe like the professionals and brown the yams in a frying pan before adding them to the soup to cook. This will help them keep their rich flavour. It is one of those small things that can make your soup that much better.