Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Ruby Red Beet Soup
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 1 hour
Beets are one of nature’s nutritional all-stars and this soup showcases how amazing their colour is too! Even if you are not a beet fan there is a good chance that you will love this soup.
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add leeks and 3 tablespoons of the coconut milk. Sauté until most of the coconut milk has evaporated.
- Add remaining coconut milk, broth, ginger, cinnamon and beets. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer and cook until beets are soft, approximately 1 hour. Remove from heat for a couple of minutes to cool.
- In small batches, carefully puree soup in a blender starting on low. Add pureed contents back to the pot.
- Stir in honey, salt and pepper. Pour into bowls and enjoy or divide into storage containers and freeze to be enjoyed later.
- Valentine’s Day Option: Place ¼ cup of sour cream into a small squeeze bottle and just before serving decorate your soup with hearts or a special note for a loved one.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt. For kids place sour cream or yogurt into a squeeze bottle and let them decorate everyone’s soup.
- Add a serving of protein such as cooked lamb or chicken to soup.