Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Smoked Cheddar & Broccoli Soup
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Ready in 35 mins
A healthier version of the old classic cream of broccoli. The smoked cheddar is the perfect cheese for this soup and I can say there is no better way to get your broccoli’s!
- Preheat a large pot on medium heat. Add the butter and oil. Once melted add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer, stirring regularly.
- Add the paprika and turmeric and 1 tablespoon of the coconut milk and sauté for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Cooking the spices like this is an optional step, but it brings out the their flavour.
- Add the salt, broccoli and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the soup for 4 – 5 minutes or until the broccoli is just cooked. Cooking too long will make the vibrant green of the broccoli turn a little brown.
- Now add the coconut milk and cheese, give a good stir and transfer the soup to a blender or a food processor and puree until completely smooth.
- Pour back to the pot, bring to a simmer again and serve. Or if making ahead of time, transfer the soup into smaller containers and chill, then store for up to 4 days or freeze.
- For a little nutritional variety you could substitute half of the broccoli with cauliflower. Simply add 2 cups of each and proceed with the recipe.
- You could always use a less expensive cheese to cut the cost a bit if you like.