Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Sopa De Ajo (garlic soup)
- Prep time 8 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
This recipe is a traditional Spanish recipe that goes a ways back. It uses simple ingredients, day old bread and lots of garlic! The bread does not have to be day old, but it is a great way to use up some leftover loaf.
- Preheat a medium pot on medium heat, add one tablespoon of oil and then the bread. Toast the bread, stirring regularly in the pot until golden brown on all sides.
- Add the second tablespoon of oil and then the garlic and the paprika and stirring constantly, cook for another minute or so.
- Now carefully add the broth and bring to a simmer. Add a little salt and pepper to your taste preference and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crack one egg into a small bowl and gently transfer into the soup and then repeat with the second egg.
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce heat to medium low and poach the eggs until done to your liking. 3 or 4 minutes for soft and 6 or 7 minutes for hard. Soft poached are ideal for this recipe as when you break the yolk, they add a wonderful flavour and creaminess into the broth.
- Once your eggs are ready, remove pot from heat, scoop one egg each into two bowls and some bread cubes as well. Then carefully pour the broth into each bowl. Top with a little chopped cilantro or parsley and then enjoy this soul warming soup.
- Add some thick sliced and then diced prosciutto ham to the pot with your bread cubes and cook together.
- Diced onion is another addition that works well in this soup.