Cream of Broccoli Soup
A flavourful and creamy soup with very little cream and loaded with the goodness of broccoli. Sounds like a good way to squeeze in some more veggies.
- Preheat a large pot on medium-high heat and add the butter and then the onion.
- Sauté the onion until it is lightly browned (about 5 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Now add the broccoli stems, leaving the florets on the side for now. Also add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat a little to a gentle boil and let cook for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the stems are softened.
- Now add the florets and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the cream, paprika, salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Once it has cooled a little, carefully puree in a blender or food processor until nice and smooth and then check the seasoning.
- Reheat if necessary and serve. Otherwise store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze.
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 20 mins
- Just before pureeing, add 1 cup of grated, aged cheddar cheese and stir until melted for a classic taste.
- Sautéed or roast chicken also go great when added to this soup.