Creamy Mushroom Lentil Soup
Mushroom soup from a can is one thing and it’s good, but this is awesome. We have pureed some button mushrooms into the base for thickness and then you can use slices of portabella, button, shitake, oyster or a mix of all to garnish the soup.
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat.
- Stirring constantly, sauté leeks in the butter for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and 4 cups of button mushrooms. Sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, cream and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove soup base from heat for a couple of minutes to cool.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, sauté the remaining mushrooms using a light coating of oil or butter until lightly browned, approximately 7 minutes. Set aside until step 7.
- In small batches, carefully puree soup base in a blender starting on low. Add pureed contents back to the pot.
- Add sautéed mushroom, cooked lentils, salt and pepper to the soup base serve and enjoy.
- PREP 20 mins
- COOK 20 mins
- If you prefer fresh herbs in your cooking sub the dried thyme for 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves.
- You can customize this recipe and make it your own by adding other sautéed veggies like celery, carrot and onion with the assorted mushrooms.