Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Black Bean & Potato Soup
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 25 mins
This a fantastic rich and hearty soup. A touch of spice, creaminess from the potato and some fried garlic sausage from Tannadice farm for the perfect indulgence.
- Preheat a large pot on medium heat and then add the garlic sausage. Lightly brown the sausage all over, stirring regularly. Once brown, remove the sausage and leave 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pot.
- Now add the onions and sauté, stirring occasionally until they are lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and sauté, stirring regularly for another minute.
- Add the chilli powder and toast for 20 seconds or so stirring constantly.
- Now add the black beans, potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, and enough broth to completely cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked and then remove from the heat.
- Now you have a choice. You can add the sausage and serve the soup as is, chunky and rustic. You can puree half of the soup and then combine along with the sausage and the rest of the soup, so you have a thick and chunky soup, or you can puree the whole soup and then add the sausage.
- Stir in some fresh oregano, serve and enjoy.
- Tomatoes finish this soup off wonderfully. Try slow roasting halved tomatoes in a 300° F oven for 2 hours with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne to really give this a kick!