Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Wealthy Shepherds Pie
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 30 mins
Shepherd’s pie is good, but this is better. More nutritious, more flavour and more pretty. Get this one into your rotation and benefit from a mega-dose of yammy goodness.
- Boil the yams in a medium pot with just enough water to cover. Make sure you use a lid too. Boil until the yams are soft.
- Strain the water and transfer to a food processor and add the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Puree until mixture is smooth.
- Check seasoning and if you are satisfied, then set the mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium heat. Add a little oil and then the bison. Cook the bison all the way through. Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Now add the Maui marinade and cook for a couple of minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, stir in the corn and peas and transfer mixture to a casserole dish.
- Spoon the mashed yams on top of the ground bison and pack it down a little.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake until heated all the way through and yams are lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add in some extra veggies like carrots, cauliflower or zucchini to the ground bison mixture.
- Chopped chipotle peppers are an awesome touch added in with the bison mixture.