Shepherd’s pie is good, but this is better. More nutritious, more flavour and more pretty. Get this one into your rotation and benefit from a mega-dose of yammy goodness.
1. Boil the yams in a medium pot with just enough water to cover. Make sure you use a lid too. Boil until the yams are soft.
2. Strain the water and transfer to a food processor and add the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Puree until mixture is smooth.
3. Check seasoning and if you are satisfied, then set the mixture aside.
4. Preheat oven to 425° F.
5. Preheat a large fry pan on medium heat. Add a little oil and then the bison. Cook the bison all the way through. Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute more.
6. Now add the Maui marinade and cook for a couple of minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
7. Remove from heat, stir in the corn and peas and transfer mixture to a casserole dish.
8. Spoon the mashed yams on top of the ground bison and pack it down a little.
9. Place in the preheated oven and bake until heated all the way through and yams are lightly browned.
10. Serve and enjoy!
• Add in some extra veggies like carrots, cauliflower or zucchini to the ground bison mixture.
• Chopped chipotle peppers are an awesome touch added in with the bison mixture.