Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Cook time 1 hour
Spelt, although just becoming more popular now for its amazing nutritional profile, is actually an ancient grain that dates way back and although it is not gluten free…some people with wheat sensitivities can enjoy it.
- Soak the spelt for 8 hours or overnight. Rinse well and then add to a pot with water using a ratio of 3 parts water to 1 part spelt. Optionally you can add a little salt to the water for a bit of flavour.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 1 hour. And then serve.
- You can eat it as is, or add a little butter and then serve with your favourite protein and lots of veggies. The cooked spelt can also be added to stir-fry’s, soups and stews.
- Cooking the spelt in broth is a nice way to add some flavour.
- Use spelt in place of rice in any rice dish including fried rice recipes