Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Prep time 3 mins
- Cook time 50 mins
Leave a Review
This recipe is a guideline of how to cook the perfect brown rice. Whether it is brown long grain, short grain or basmati you can follow these guidelines and have a wonderful result.
- Combine rice, water, butter, salt and pepper in a small heavy bottom pot. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce heat to minimum and place on a tight fitting lid. After about 5 minutes, take a quick peak and make sure that the rice is gently simmering and steaming away. If there is no movement then adjust accordingly.
- Set a timer and simmer the rice, covered for 50 minutes. Once the time goes (one of the few times I use a timer), remove the pot from the heat, leave the lid on and let it sit for 5 minutes. This will ensure all the water is absorbed.
- Now your rice is ready for a good stir and serving! Serve with your favourite protein choice and lots of fresh veggies, or add to a stir-fry. You could also add the cooked rice to a soup. Enjoy!
- You can use broth instead of water to bump up the flavour, but I like adding spices. Cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, chilli powder etc. Add in anywhere from ¼ to 1 teaspoon depending on your taste preferences and see what flavours you like best.
- Double or triple the recipe depending on your family size or intended use. Just remember to use a bigger pot.