- Prep time 1 min
- Cook time 20 mins
Once considered “the gold of the Incas”, quinoa is rich in complete protein, making it ideal for vegetarians and vegans. Commonly referred to as a grain, quinoa is actually a seed and as well as being high in protein, it is high in anti-oxidants, iron and phosphorus.
- Combine quinoa, water and salt in small pot. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce heat to minimum and cover with a tight fitting lid. Set the timer to for 10 minutes. After about 2 minutes, take a quick peak and make sure that the quinoa is gently simmering and steaming away. If there is no movement then adjust accordingly.
- Once the timer goes, remove from heat and leave the lid on. Let is sit for another 10 minutes.
- Now your quinoa is ready to enjoy. Fluff with a fork and serve with your favourite protein and lots of veggies. You can also add quinoa to stir-frys, stews and pasta sauces or use it in a wrap!
- You can cook quinoa in milk, broth or even juice for extra flavour but be warned that the texture will not turn out as light and fluffy compared to when its cooked with water.
- Add spices to the water such as cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, chilli powder etc. Add in anywhere from ¼ to 1 teaspoon depending on your taste preferences and see what flavours you like best.