Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 1 min
Lamb provides a truly unique flavour and is worth the extra money for a special occasion. This recipe is quite easy to pull off and will go a long way in impressing some friends or family.
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F.
- Pre-heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Add the canola oil and then the lamb. Sear until golden brown on all sides and then remove pan from heat and transfer the lamb to a big mixing bowl.
- Depending on your tastes and the size of the leg add the desired amount of olive oil, rosemary, cumin, salt and pepper. Be liberal with the herbs and spices as it is only the outside layer.
- Make and layer of the yams in the pan and season lightly with cinnamon and salt.
- Place the seasoned and herbed lamb leg on top of the yams, insert a probe thermometer into the middle of the thickest part of the leg and place in the oven.
- Cook the lamb to 155-165° F (155 if you want it a tiny bit pink) and then remove from the oven. Cover with foil and let rest for about 15 minutes.
- Slice the lamb thin or thick and enjoy with the roast yams.
- Add two tablespoons minced garlic in with the rosemary and spices for some added flavour.
- You can roast a couple of extra veggies in with the yams, such as thick sliced onion, whole garlic cloves, carrots, and parsnip pieces.
- Serve with tzatziki sauce for a cool refreshing compliment to the bold flavour of the lamb leg.