Curry Braised Lamb Leg
- Prep time 15 mins
Indian flavours are used to braise this lamb leg and the result is amazing. Tender, juicy and lots of flavour make this recipe well worth the time in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Preheat a medium fry pan on medium heat. Season the lamb leg all over with coarse salt and pepper, add a little oil to the pan and place in the lamb.
- Brown lamb nicely on all sides and then set aside.
- Puree the onion and tomato in a food processor or a powerful blender separately and keep them separate.
- Select a pot that is just a little wider than the lamb and tall enough to fit a lid on it and preheat on medium heat with the oil for 1 minute. Carefully add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Add the tomato, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the coconut milk and molasses and stir to combine.
- Now add the browned lamb into the pot and bring everything to a simmer. The liquid should cover the lamb at least half way. Add a little water if the level is too low. Once the liquid is simmering, cover with a lid and place the whole pot into the oven.
- After 1 hour carefully flip the lamb over and then cook for another 45 – 60 minutes. The lamb is done when a fork easily cuts into the meat. *Alternatively you could transfer everything to a slow cooker at step 8, and set it on low for 6 hours. Just make sure to rotate the lamb halfway through if possible.*
- Serve with your favourite veggie sides and some Naan bread or rice.
For a very simple version of the recipe you could use 2 cups of pasta sauce and 1 cup of coconut milk instead of everything else.