Apply for this Job
Job Title: Baker
Location Name: Duncan
Country Grocer a family-owned and operated company on Vancouver Island and Salt Spring Island for over three decades has earned a reputation as a truly local company with a deep commitment to our local communities and to Island’s farmers, growers, and producers.
Country Grocer at Duncan is looking for a BAKER (FULL-TIME) to join our family! The bakery department is responsible for providing a so delectably sweet treats and freshly baked breads.
- Prepare dough for breads and rolls.
- Bake mixed doughs and batters
- Ensure quality of products meets established standards
- Create and monitor production schedule to determine type and quantity of goods is being produced in a timely manner
- Order baking supplies
- Train and supervise baking staff.
- Measure and mix ingredients to form dough and batter while following recipes.
- Roll, cut, and shape dough to form rolls, breads and related products.
- Place dough in pans, molds, or on sheets and bake in oven. Observe products while cooking and adjust controls as needed.
- Use a variety of kitchen tools, including ovens, electric mixers, pans, rolling pins, and cutting tools.
- Get information from production schedules and recipes.
- Handle and move ingredients, tools, and cooking pans.
- Control mixing processes and oven controls.
- Implement new products by following recipes or creating new ones.
- Maintains general list of supplies necessary to produce products.
- Keeps production areas tidy, equipment cleaned, and prepared for use.
- Stay productive at all times and prepare for future needs as time allows.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for accidents and incidents to ensure follow-up and prevention.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Professional diploma or food services management is a plus
- At least 1 year of baking experience
- Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling required.
- Effective communication skills.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Highly effective teamwork skills.
- Attention to detail in all areas of work.
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Standing for long period of time or duration of shift
- Amenable to lift up to 50lbs on occasion and up to 35lbs regularly
- Occasional environmental exposures to cold, heat, and water
- Will be constantly exposed to high temperatures in the kitchen environment
- Manual dexterity required to use knives and kitchen appliances
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to work morning shift as early as 4:00AM
- Full extended health benefits package at 6 months
- Self-directed RRSP and company matching program
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick days
Our amazing perks!
- Get paid every Friday!
- Special Team Member Discount Program
- Pay increases linked to performance
- Flexible schedules posted in advance
- Team Member assistance and wellness program
- A positive and inclusive team-oriented environment
- Recognition programs that regularly celebrate achievements